Yule Arrive Safely
‘Tis the Season
It’s said this is “the most wonderful time of the year,” and while it is for many, it isn’t necessarily the most wonderful time for drivers. Being behind the wheel when streets and parking lots are packed, the weather is bad to miserable, and the nights are at their longest, it can make for very challenging conditions to navigate.
As a gift to you, your friends at Idealease have put together a helpful list of reminders, best practices, and tips to help you pilot your sedan, semi, or even your sleigh, safely through the worst this wonderful season can throw at you.
All Presence, No Coal
The keys to getting you and your family through a busy holiday season on the roads really boils down to three things: preparation, focus, and anticipation of what’s just ahead. So, we’re making a handy list for you to check twice—and share with friends and family:
- Winterize your car ahead of time—fluids, wipers, brakes, tires, emergency supplies
- Don’t get into the driver’s seat if you are impaired in any way (drowsiness counts)
- If you suspect another driver is impaired carefully pull over, let them pass, and dial 911
- Driving while distracted is just as dangerous as driving intoxicated
- Everyone in the vehicle should wear their seatbelt—even in the backseat
- Keep a snow brush and ice scraper in your vehicle so you can see and be seen
- Increase your following distance if it’s wet or icy out
- Give yourself extra time to account for unexpected traffic and weather
- Speeding past traffic increases the likelihood of a crash nearly three times
- Only pass trucks on the driver side, where their blind spot is the smallest
- Don’t cut in front of a large truck, see it in your rearview mirror before moving over
The Gift That Keeps Giving
If it is the most wonderful time of the year, this time also includes busy schedules, crowded stores, and a high level of stress that comes without a receipt or store credit in exchange. So, whether you and the kids are driving around to gaze at amazing holiday decorations, head to the mall to meet Santa, or go over the hills and through the woods to grandmother’s house, you and every other driver out there can give yourselves and each other the best gift there is—safe travels.
From all your friends at Idealease, we wish you a safe and happy holiday season and a wonderful new year. Season’s greetings!