A Safe and Happy New Year
On Days Gone By
With 2022 having just ended, we tend to look back and reflect on days gone by and think ahead to all possible in 2023. From all we celebrated and overcame last year and all that’s to come in the year ahead, one thing rises above whatever comes our way—health and safety matter most of all.
Fortunately, we can assert some control over our approach to safety every day—whether driving for a living or just picking up some groceries. And never does this message bear repeating more than during the winter months when the weather makes the roads especially hazardous.
The good news is that traffic fatalities appear to have been declining for the first time since 2020. To help keep that total dropping, even more, let’s all resolve to keep up the good work of sharing the roads safely.
Children of the Resolution
The best thing any of us can do, professional driver, daily commuter, or occasional errand runner, is to be vigilant—prepared for anything and everything—whenever we hit the roads. For many of us, driving is truly optional during the worst weather, like Winter Storm Elliot, but if you have to go out, please keep these safety tips in mind so we can all enjoy a happy, healthy, and safe year ahead:
- Winterize your car ahead of time—fluids, wipers, brakes, tires, emergency supplies
- Don’t get into the driver’s seat if you are impaired in any way (drowsiness counts)
- If you suspect another driver is impaired carefully pull over, let them pass, and dial 911
- Driving while distracted is just as dangerous as driving intoxicated
- Everyone in the vehicle should wear their seatbelt—even in the backseat
- Keep a snow brush and ice scraper in your vehicle so you can see and be seen
- Increase your following distance if it’s wet or icy out
- Give yourself extra time to account for unexpected traffic and weather
- Speeding past traffic increases the likelihood of a crash nearly three times
- Only pass trucks on the driver side, where their blind spot is the smallest
- Don’t cut in front of a large truck, see it in your rearview mirror before moving over
With the major holidays of 2022 having just wrapped up, your friends at Idealease are excited for the promise of this New Year and are preparing for everything that comes with it. From all of us, we’d like to wish you and yours a very safe, happy, and prosperous 2023.